Thursday, January 28, 2010

Perplexed and Confused

I went to Dr. LeBlanc (Fort Worth) yesterday (Wednesday) and his take on this malady did not seem as dire as the other neurologists I spoke to. He says that he would go up through the nose or the roof of the mouth to reach my new friend. So now I am perplexed and confused.

I am unsure what to do, so I have decided to get a 2nd opinion. After researching doctors, I decided to call Dr. Mickey (Dallas) for an appointment. I will find out tomorrow when that appointment will be.

This is a flip of the coin, but my decision will be based on what Dr. Mickey says. I understand he is outstanding in his field so if he says it can be reached through the mouth or nose, then I will have Dr. LeBlanc do the surgery. If he concurs with the other 2 doctors, that they have to go through the scalp, then I will probably go with him. What would you do in this situation?

Dr. LeBlanc has become sort of a friend. He is my doctor for a different reason, but I trust him. I was just a little befuddled about his assessment.

In a previous blog entry, Susie asked how this affects some of my other health issues. Well I am not sure. I will know more later. One of the neurologists said that all of my health probs may be linked together. Wouldn’t it be great that when the Mean Humpty Dumpty is plucked off his wall, everything else gets better. Ah...to dream.

Well, that is really about all the news I have at this point. I have an appointment tomorrow with Dr. Castro (endocrinologist) and I will be there doing some fairly extensive testing. From what I understand....some of the tests have a big ouch factor.

Wish me luck and I will send it right back to you..

3 comments:

  1. You are getting pulled from one extreme to the other, aren't you. I hope you got the info you needed from Dr. Mickey to make a decision. But there's no harm in getting another opinion from another doc if you want more info. Have you thought of going to a medical center like the Mayo Clinic or somewhere in Houston for further evaluation? Around here, we'd go to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. just a thought.
    Love you,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna:
    I'm told by an anesthesia friend that Dr. Mickey is very good. I believe her because she doesn't give compliments to MDs very often. I don't know Dr. LeBlanc but most of these tumors are removed through the roof of the mouth or nose, at least those that I worked on, so don't let that be the only criteria for whether you choose one doctor over the other. Experience at removing them is the best one. I've had two other friends suggest Mayo Clinic or MD Anderson in Houston but you know I don't know that I would go to those places, because this area of Texas has good Medical Care. Don't get too confused over care.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete